Phone: (516) 237-2080
Requests for transportation to non-public schools for each school year
must be received by April 1st of the preceding year. Parents/guardians
should submit a separate form for each student. These forms are
available from the district registrar upon student registration.
Transportation is provided according to the following distance from school requirements and limitations:
|K - 4th
|0.5 miles or greater
|5th - 7th
|1 mile or greater
|8th - 12th
|1.5 miles or greater
Transportation to private schools is limited to 15 miles. All distance measurements are made within our routing software, from home address to school address using the shortest route possible, which may differ from the actual route the bus follows.
Transportation Requirements for Students
- Students must be properly registered with the district before transportation can be considered
- Students must meet eligibility requirements based on distance from school
- Requests for Transportation must be submitted each year for each student attending private/parochial schools
- Requests must be received no later than April 1st for the next school year.
For information regarding Late Transportation Requests, please click here.
Employment as a School Bus Driver
Applications for school bus drivers are accepted continuously. The following qualifications are required:
- CDL Class B with P & S Endorsements & Air Brake Endorsement Required.
- 19A Certification including Fingerprint Clearance & 30 Hour Safety Course.
The following are required to complete application:
- Transportation Application
- Civil Service Application
- Copy of Driver's license
- 3 letters of reference
- Physical Performance test
- Physical by District Doctor
- Pre-employment drug and alcohol screening
- Driving test by 19-A certifier
- Driver's license abstract
Bus drivers employed by the district must meet the following criteria on an annual or bi-annual basis.
- Two refresher courses
- Physical exam
- Random drug and alcohol testing
- Defensive Driving performance test
- Carrier's Annual Review of Driving Record under Article 19-A
- Every other year (odd numbered years):
- Written Test by 19-A certifier
Bi-annually (even-numbered years):
- Behind The Wheel Road Test
- Physical Performance Test